Friday, July 6, 2012

Some work in progress


            As you can see, I've been doing a bit of trimming today. I think I need to do something about all the trimmings that land on the floor. The splashpan on this wheel seems to work fine for catching slip while I'm throwing, but doesn't catch trimmings well. In the past, with other wheels, I have put plastic all around the wheel so that I could just pick it up and dump the clay into the reclaim bucket. I think I might cut up some garbage bags and tape them together in the right shape so it's a little less fiddly when I go to trim.
            And the results - a soup bowl:




            A carved serving dish:




            This clay is a porcelain that is intended for wood firing, and is the same clay that I used for the lighter colored dragons in my thesis. Example:


            I also used this clay when making a set of these bowls:


            I like this clay very much, although I don't have a whole lot of it left. I'm hoping to find someone in Maine who has a wood kiln who will share kiln space with me. I'm willing to do a lot of work preparing wood and stoking the kiln and cleaning up after! I'm still new to wood firing, but I love it.
            I'm thinking that the carvings on the carved dish will look really awesome when they catch the ash. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a darker clay as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment