Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tiny bowls with dragons!

            These are most of the four-inch bowls that were ordered through the Kickstarter project. I made extras, which will appear on Etsy at a slightly higher price than they were for Kickstarter.
            First are the Western dragons:






            Then the Eastern-ish dragons:






            I also made a couple of tiny mushroom bowls while I was at it:



            All of the bowls in this post were made the same way. I threw them on the wheel, then trimmed them, then brushed black slip only on the insides. Then I carved the images through the black slip, let them all dry, and bisque fired them. I glazed them with my zinc-free clear glaze, and fired them to cone 6 in oxidation. They are not very translucent, although if you are determined, you can make them glow a little in a dim room with a bright flashlight. It was my intent to make them sturdy and easy to use, rather than delicate.


2 comments:

  1. Like the dragon bowls. What is the volume of one of these bowls (roughly)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They hold between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of water filled to the brim. The mushroom bowls hold somewhat less than that.

    ReplyDelete