Monday, January 28, 2013

Vases!

            Here are a couple of vases that came out of the kiln last week. This one has a jellyfish:


            And waves on the back:


            This jellyfish vase is porcelain. I brushed green slip over it, then carved the waves and jellyfish through the slip so that they appear white. Then when the vase was bisque fired, I brushed blue stain on the waves and partially sponged it off. This vase will be available in my Etsy shop this week!
            And this vase has cuttlefish! (This one has already been claimed; it will not be in my Etsy shop.)




            These vases are both glazed with a new glaze I mixed for this firing. It's the zinc-free clear with 4% Delphinium blue Mason stain added. I chose this blue because it is bright, and tilted just a bit toward purple. At this percentage, it makes a typical saturated blue. I'm planning to try it at 2% or less to see if I can make it more pale. I'm also considering mixing this blue stain with a green stain to see what happens. I like blue, but I tend to favor less intense shades (I'm a fan of celadon blues/greens, for instance).


2 comments:

  1. Like the blue... the green seems to have a bit more yellow than appeals to me. Go cuttlefish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you mean about the yellow. I'm not an expert photographer, and my camera is a little limited in how it lets me adjust the white balance. Hmm, maybe I should take some more pictures of that vase before posting it on Etsy, see if I can get it to look better.

    Thanks! And cuttlefish are super. :)

    ReplyDelete